Q & A with Peterborough United
1) So, after some reasonably high pre-season expectations from various sources it's not the greatest of starts for Peterborough so far, what's gone wrong?
Simple individual defensive errors mainly, but we've been incredibly unlucky at the same time. Take both the QPR & WBA games, conceded sloppy goals, but at the same time, we had 3 goals disallowed in total over those 2 games alone (2 of them definitely wrong decision, one was 50-50). So bit of both. It'll come, just a matter of when, rather than if.
2) Everybody's still happy with Darren Ferguson in charge right?
Absolutely. I'd be worried if we were being hammered, but we're not, and he gives this team so much belief that even at 3-0 down, we won't give up. It's an amazing time for us to even be here, and hes a massive part of that. Definitely one of the best managers we've ever had here.
3) Would it be right to assume that the defence has failed so far this season? Is it simply a case of too many individual errors, or are there deeper underlying explanations?
Individual errors sums it up, Zakuani & Morgan have had their horror games, Williams & Lee too. We looked alot more solid at QPR which i suppose is a building block! Well, we hope!
4) Are you confident the side can get themselves out of their losing ways and starting forcing their way up the table?
Definitely. I don't think its unreasonable of us to believe this either, considering we've got from League Two to here using basically the same squad. Whilst none of us are as ambitious as Darragh MacAnthony (who is still adament we'll be in the Prem next season! What a guy!) we do believe theres enough here to stay up, and comfortably. I wouldn't say we'll push for playoffs though. Just safety will do for us!
5)Did Ferguson invest in the transfer market well in the summer?
Yeah I'd say so. Tommy Rowe & Toumani Diagouraga look very good, the latter fits right in. Frecklington was exactly what we needed, a midfielder who can find the net, and Pearce adds strength to the back line. I'd have liked to have seen a striker, but I'm very pleased with what we did pick up!
6) Who is your key player ahead of tomorrow evening's game?
I'd say its the same 3 who have always been our threat really. CMS, McLean & Boyd. Boyd's been rather special this year, and CMS & McLean are now finding their feet. Whelpdale's back now too which gives us alot more down the right. Just the attacking 3/4 really!
7) Any significant injury concerns we should know about?
None, for once! Our main worry was the fitness of Whelps but he got through a good 70 minutes of QPR. Whether that'll make him too tired for this game, I don't know, but he'll be there whether it be a sub or starter.
8) Who do you fear the most from the Leicester side?
Fryatt, with the way we're leaking goals right now, he could turn out to have a field day tomorrow, which is a prime concern. Lloyd Dyer too, I've never liked playing him, and I'm not the most confident about the defensive ability of our fullbacks so he could be a crucial man in the result!
9) Finally, the all-important match prediction?
I don't often like making predictions, but I can't see us winning tomorrow. We'll save the first win for Saturday against Reading I reckon, a draw (1-1 going by our previous 3!) is a good shout, so I'll go with that. As long as we don't play as bad as we did last time we visited, we'll be fine!
Win FREE pizza with Vital Football!
Select your team and get 50% off if they score twice.