Date:Wednesday May 6 2009
So, it's the end of the season once again, which means that players are coming up to the end of their contracts. With Leicester back in the Championship, who will Pearson decide to retain, if any at all?
1. Patrick Kisnorbo: The centre back was an ever present since joining in 2005 until an injury in Leicester's penultimate game of the 07/08 season saw him spend much of this season on the sidelines. Alongside Gareth McAuley, Kisnorbo was a huge factor behind Leicester's impressive defence, which was actually the second best in the Championship in 07/08 despite the club being relegated to League One.
Verdict: Despite still being well liked by many Leicester fans, he still looks set to leave. Despite returning to the first team twice this season (subsequently coinciding with Leicester's two main 'blips'), the centre back finds himself fifth choice these days behind Aleksander Tunchev, Jack Hobbs, Wayne Brown and Michael Morrison. Expect to see him move to a Championship club on a free transfer.
2. Barry Hayles: A hugely underwhelming signing from Ian Holloway last season, Hayles has scored just twice for the Foxes.
Verdict: A successful loan spell at Cheltenham Town this season could have spelled out Barrys next destination. Word is that he's already left the club and is looking to tie up a one-year deal with Martin Allen's recently relegated side.
3. Paul Henderson: The goalkeeper has been in and out of the side like a yo-yo since joining from Bradford in 2005. Despite predominantly acting as an understudy, Henderson found himself as first-choice on more than one occassion. Despite never rating him personally, many fans did and were disappointed when he became injured early this season.
Verdict: He's almost certainly returning back to Australia according to sources within the club. However, the goalkeeper has reportedly been unsuccessful in finding a club back home as of yet.
4. Chris Powell: Joined the Foxes in August 2008 on a free transfer and made 22 appearances last season, mostly as a bit-part player. The seasoned pro has been a huge fans favourite this season, and has certainly impressed manager Nigel Pearson in his time with the club.
Verdict: Powell is reportedly very close to signing as a player coach for the team. A wise decision for both player and club.
5. Marc Edworthy: Signed as a short-term measure by Pearson last August, Edworthy has filled in at right-back on numerous occassions this season whilst first choice full back Kerrea Gilbert was injured.
Verdict: It's tough to call this one. He'll never be a first choice right back for us that's for sure, but Pearson may decide to keep him on another short-term contract for backup. It's 50/50.
6. Bruno N'Gotty: With the exception of several youth players, Bruno N'Gotty is the final high profile Leicester player to be out of contract this summer. Signed on a free transfer in the summer of 2007 by Martin Allen, N'Gotty never found his way at the club. He was promptly loaned out to Hereford in November last year, and was subsequently injured whilst there.
Verdict: Leicester have been trying to shift N'Gotty from the wage bill for some time. After his injury Leicester have been paying his wages for nothing, and there's absolutely zero chance he'll stay (unless something drastic occurs). Don't expect to ever hear his name again around England.
So according to my calculations we should see Chris Powell remain at the club next season as a player-coach, with the possibility of Marc Edworthy joining him on another short-term contract.
Date:Wednesday May 6 2009
Pearson Will Keep His Position (Saturday May 18 2013)
Moore In World Cup Shot? (Saturday May 18 2013)
A tired argument (Wednesday May 15 2013)
Pearson Almost Lost For Words (Monday May 13 2013)
Stats: Watford v Leicester (Sunday May 12 2013)
Semi Final Is Evenly Poised (Friday May 10 2013)
It's Only Half Time - Nugent (Friday May 10 2013)
Leicester City 1 Watford 0 (Thursday May 9 2013)
Stats: Leicester v Watford (Thursday May 9 2013)
Play Off Semi Final 1st Leg v Watford (Thursday May 9 2013)
|Crystal Palace||2||-||2||Leicester City|
|5. Crystal Palace||46||19||15||12||11||72|
|6. Leicester City||46||19||11||16||23||68|
|LUFC Trip to Somerset for Leeds next season
» Leeds Utd : 19/05/2013 20:17:00
|Gobern Signs New Terriers Deal
» Huddersfield : 19/05/2013 12:06:00
|No Novak Deal
» Huddersfield : 19/05/2013 12:04:00
|LUFC Leeds United Transfer Rumours - Week Two
» Leeds Utd : 19/05/2013 10:21:00
|LUFC On This Day - May 19th
» Leeds Utd : 19/05/2013 08:43:00
|Three-Year Deal For Winger
» Charlton : 18/05/2013 19:45:00
|BWFC: Fag-Packet Maths
» Bolton : 18/05/2013 18:22:00